When it comes to creating a sustainable fashion brand, one of the most important considerations is the choice of fabric. The fabric used in clothing production can have a significant impact on the environment, from the resources required for its production to its eventual disposal. In this blog post, we will explore the process of sourcing the perfect sustainable fabric for your brand's first ever collection.
Why is sustainable fabric important?
Sustainable fabric is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps to reduce the environmental impact of the fashion industry. Traditional fabric production methods often involve the use of harmful chemicals and excessive water consumption. By choosing sustainable fabrics, you can minimise these negative effects and contribute to a greener future.
Secondly, sustainable fabrics are often more durable and long-lasting than their conventional counterparts. This means that the garments made from sustainable fabrics are less likely to end up in landfills, reducing waste and promoting a circular economy.
What are the criteria for choosing sustainable fabric?
When sourcing sustainable fabric for your brand's collection, there are several criteria to consider:
- Organic and natural materials: Look for fabrics made from organic and natural materials such as organic cotton, linen, hemp, or bamboo. These materials are grown without the use of harmful pesticides and are biodegradable.
- Recycled materials: Consider using fabrics made from recycled materials, such as recycled polyester or nylon. These fabrics help to reduce the demand for virgin materials and divert waste from landfills.
- Low-impact dyes: Choose fabrics that are dyed using low-impact or natural dyes. Conventional fabric dyes often contain toxic chemicals that can pollute water sources.
- Certifications: Look for fabrics that have been certified by reputable organizations such as the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) or the Bluesign system. These certifications ensure that the fabric meets strict environmental and social criteria.
Where can you source sustainable fabric?
There are several options for sourcing sustainable fabric for your brand's collection:
- Eco-friendly fabric suppliers: Many suppliers specialise in eco-friendly fabrics and can provide a wide range of sustainable options.
- Textile trade shows: Attend textile trade shows to connect with sustainable fabric suppliers and learn about the latest innovations in sustainable textiles.
- Online marketplaces: Online marketplaces such as EcoTextile, Offset Warehouse, or FabScrap offer a convenient way to source sustainable fabrics.
- Local manufacturers: Check if there are any local manufacturers or artisans in your area who produce sustainable fabrics.
Choosing the perfect sustainable fabric for your brand's first ever collection is a crucial step towards building a sustainable fashion brand. By considering the environmental impact, durability, and certifications of the fabric, you can make a positive contribution to the fashion industry and create garments that are both stylish and sustainable. We made the choice to create our first collection using the Vita Suede and 390 Vita by Italian manufacturer Carvico. The fabrics are made from 78% recycled polyamide and 22% elastane. WPA will continuously work with suppliers to increase the % of recycled fabrication within our offering, with the aim that one day we can offer 90%+.